March 15, 2009

1970s comics ads: The Money Maker


One of the best things about Silver and Bronze Age comics is the hilarious ads that litter the pages between panels (and I mean that in a cheesy good way). For the inaugural ad post for C.o.R. I've chosen ... the Money Maker! From 1977's The Incredible Hulk #214, Gandalf Products Co. showed young comics aficionados how to play Willem DaFoe in To Live and Die in L.A.!

Just insert a blank piece of paper into the machine, and PRESTO! You can now fool that cretin behind the counter at the neighborhood 7-11 when you pay for that pack of Bubble Yum!

I can tell 'ya, boy, do I feel like a dolt for shelling out all those quarters as a boy for the latest Marvels, when all I hadda do was print out a couple singles and voilá -- I could'a had eight issues for "free!" Then again, I seem to recall an incident that dissuaded me from such shenanigans:

Excuse us, Mr. Hube. We're from the
Treasury Dept. Can we have a word?

2 comments:

Pat said...

I had one of those suckers! The gimmick was that there were these rollers inside that would hold two items and spit out the third. So the gag was supposed to go like this; you put the blank paper in and a dollar (pre-loaded) comes out. You put the dollar in and a five (also preloaded) comes out. Now you encourage your "friend" to put a dollar in the machine. This time a blank piece of paper comes out, and your "friend" is out a buck. Unfortunately none of my friends were gullible enough to bite.

Anonymous said...

I think the White House ordered a couple hundred of these for all the money they're going to be printing!